Monday, January 30, 2006

Day One-Santiago, Chile


After months (years) planning this trip, it is almost surreal really being here. The plane was surprisingly small for the length of the flight (almost 12 hours). I must have been exhausted though. I had no problem sleeping for almost the entire flight. I was amazed at the view when I woke up. The clouds were so uniform that I wasn´t sure if they were clouds or the ocean. When we got closer to Santiago, the mountains began peeking (no pun intended) up from the frothy ocean of clouds. I wondered if there were people under the clouds or whether they were fog covering the ground. This question was soon answered when we descended into smoggy Santiago. The air was so thick that you would never know that the city is surrouned by mountains. It makes SLC´s inversion look like a clear day.

I spent most of the first day wandering around. The buildings here have a clear Spanish influence, moderately ornate with bright colors. My favortie sight was Cerro Santa Lucia, a park that is located atop a mountain. There are several building built into the mountain. At the base there is a fountain/building that resembles a three-tiered wedding cake with the Greek god Neptune as the topper. Once you climb that there are several levels of worn, steep stairs. At the top is an amazing view of the city (I wish the mountains were visible).

Right as I was snapping a photo, I felt something crawling up my leg. I went to swat it away. It was a bee! And boy did it hurt when it stung me. Imagine the shocked looks on the Chilean tourists´faces when I cursed loudly and began lifting up my skirt. Fortunately, for me, I had shorts on underneath. What a way to start the trip!

No comments: