Monday, January 30, 2006

Day Two--Curico


As much as I was impressed by Santiago, I´m not a city person. I decided to catch the first bus to Curico. Alexandra, a girl that worked with me at the Supreme Court, had suggested that I check out this waterfall near Curico called Siete Tazas, and I knew that the area was famous for its wine. It was a short bus ride through field after field of grapes, corn, or sunflowers.

Once I arrived, however, all of the hotels were closed. It was harder to find a place to stay on a Sunday in Curico than it is to find a place to eat on Sunday in SLC! Rather than sleep on the street I decided to catch the next bus to Puerto Montt (12 hours). Unfortunately the next bus didn´t leave until 7:15, which gave me five hours to kill.

By this time, I needed a drink. I walked into the first bar I came across and ordered a taza of wine. Well, I forgot that a taza means measuring cup rather than drinking cup. The bartender looked puzzled, but poured me a shot of what appeared to be homemade wine. =) We had a pleasant conversation and the drink was on him.

Curico is a quaint little town. It has a really beautiful palm-lined plaza with several beautiful fountains. There were also a number of really beautiful, simple churches. My favorite, though, were the colorful houses. They were all built in a row, but each was a different bright color.

On my walk back to the bus stop, Hernan (the bartender) waved me over to meet Javiera. Javiera, was dressed in a bright pink net belly shirt with a powder blue bra underneath. She unnecessarily introduced herself as a homosexual tranvestite. Needless to say, she had several interesting stories. While s/he entertained me with stories and a dance to remember her by (as if I could forget), Hernan served me the most wonderful watermelon. I was a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

No comments: