Monday, April 17, 2006

Day 82: Cartagena, Colombia



I arrived in Cartagena just in time for the Semana Santa celebration. The plazas and parks were packed with people dancing traditional dances. I bought some dulces (sweets) at the Portal del Dulces in the Plaza de Coches. They were okay, lots of coconut.

To protect against Spanish invasions, a wall was built around the city. Within the wall the city is really beautiful, The buildings are really colorful and there are lots of parks and plazas. Despite, or because of, the presence of military personnel toting big guns on every corner, I feel really safe here.

Outside the walled area, the town is pretty ugly. There are a lot of people sleeping in the streets. There is a street lined with all the hip bars there, though.

I thought that I would be spending Easter Sunday lonely and alone, but I met a beautiful Cartagenian girl, Eve. She invited me to sit on the beach in Bocagrande with her and her boyfriend. We sat in lounge chairs sipping coconut juice out of the coconut until the sun went down. It was a good day.

No comments: