Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Day 84: Santa Marta


Now, I'll be the first to admit that after scubadiving in the Galapagos, I thought diving in other places would be a let down. I decided to go in Santa Marta only because I needed more experience and because it was super cheap. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Santa Marta and the surrounding areas has an amazing coral reef. True, there were no sharks, rays, turtles, or sea lions, but the coral itself was incredible. Instead of spending the dive looking for "big fish," I spent the time taking in everything. You didn't have to look very far or hard to find something beautiful. The coral was colorful and covered with little flowers that sucked themselves in as we swam past. The ocean flora was swaying in the tide. The variety of fish was outstanding. There were fish that had day-glo blue stripes, the largest angel fish I have ever seen, and every color of trumpet fish imaginable. The dive was not without its "big fish" either. We saw barracuda, three different colors of moray eels, and a worm that was the length and width of my arm.

No comments: