Saturday, May 06, 2006

Day 93: Quito, Ecuador


I wish I could say that my last full day in South America was filled with excitement. It wasn't. In fact, I didn't even go to see the sights that Quito offered. Instead I spent the day running errands to prepare for my trip home. In the morning, while my friend Jenn (from the Galapagos trip) was busy at her volunteer project, I decided I was in dire need of a pedicure. My feet had been horribly mistreated in the last three months. While I was at the salon, I decided an eyebrow wax wouldn't be a bad idea either (in my neverending quest to keep the weight of my pack down, I had left tweezers at home). Unfortunately, the spanish words for wax and dye are very similar. The aesthetician had used the lightest color she had, but because the salons in Ecuador deal mainly with dark-haired people, I ended up with eyebrows about five shades darker than my sun-bleached hair. I left looking like Groucho Marx.

For lunch, I treated Jenn to a typical Ecuadorian meal. I knew it would be my last three-course meal for $3. Then we met up with our friend Esteban (one of the guides we met while staying in the Galapagos) and his cousins. They took us to an indigenous market, where I hurriedly tried to buy souvenirs for friends and family.

My last night in South America was not a wild and crazy blowout, but instead a relaxing dinner of wine, cheese, fresh bread, and fresh fruit, followed by an attempt to watch our bootlegged copy of Syriana.

No comments: