Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Last Day



Perhaps because I had spent so little time exploring the main land, Ecuador was surprisingly easy to leave. As we got closer to Miami, my sense of wistfulness increased. I finished my copy of The Motorcycle Diaries minutes before we landed in Miami. I started a conversation with my spanish-speaking neighbor, knowing that this may be the last opportunity I had to practice the language for awhile.

From the air, it was easy to see the perfect rows of nearly identical houses surrounded by groomed yards, complete sidewalks, and paved streets. During my trip, a man had told me he loved America because "It was perfect." At the time, I thought it was an odd comment. I still don't know if he was being sincere or sarcastic, but from this viewpoint I knew what he had meant.

After landing, it was strange how quickly I reverted to my role as the entitled American. When it took forever for our luggage to arrive, rather that waiting patiently, knowing that it would come eventually, I went to customer service demanding to know what was taking so long. In the security line, rather than waiting for my turn, knowing that the plane wouldn't leave without me, I told the guard I had a tight connection and was ushered to the front of the line.

My impatience only grew when we got to Dallas. There was a storm and all of the departing flights had been delayed. I couldn't afford a delay! I had been planning, since before I left on this trip, a surprise party for Rod. This day, a Friday, was two days before his birthday and three days before he thought I would be home. I had planned on arriving in Salt Lake at 8:15, Nici would be picking up a cake and then picking me up at the airport, people were showing up at my house at 8:30 (Jess, who I had given a spare key before the trip, and Carrie, would be there to let them in), and Rory was supposed to bring Rod back to the house at nine. The flight from Dallas to SLC was the longest of my life!

In the end, everything worked out perfectly. Though my flight was delayed an hour and the airline lost my luggage, I still managed to get home before Rod. We had turned out all the lights, but forgotten to shut the front door. We could hear Rod outside, concerned that he was being robbed. When he flipped on the lights, the shocked look on his face was priceless! He hadn't suspected a thing. =) It was a great night!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Jen- you should write a book on all of this- what an amazing trip!