Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ponce to La Parguera

The next morning, I got up early to check out the Tibes Indian Ceremonial Center. According to the guidebook, it is one of the most important archaeological sites in the Caribbean because of the evidence of pre-Taino cultures. Although I'll admit the bowls and artifacts were really cool, the rock roadways and replicas of huts paled in comparison to all the ruins on the Yucatan and in Honduras and Peru. I'm a bit jaded.






La Parguera was a couple of hours away. It is on the southwest corner of Puerto Rico, described as a sleepy fishing town by day, favorite nightlife hangout at night. The town was small, but somewhat confusing with all the one-way streets. After finding a place to stay (not nearly as cute as Hotel Belgica), I went to hike in the Guanica Forest Trails. It is a beautiful park with trails along the seashore. There was quite a variety of habitats on such a short walk.


Later that night, I had what may be the worst mexican food I've ever had. At least the beer was cold (but I did have to buy it at the bar across the street).

No comments: