Monday, February 13, 2006

Day 15-16 - Calafate



Wow! I have had the most amazing couple of days. Last night, after dining in a fabulous restaurant, I decided to walk around Calafate. As I was walking around, I met the nicest guy, Sergio, who told me about trip he was organizing to see the Perito Moreno Glacier under the full moon. I couldn´t refuse the opportunity to see the glacier at night.

The Perito Moreno glacier is one of the only glaciers that is advancing (about 1 m. a day). When we got there, I was stunned at how huge it was, snow and ice twenty stories high (according to the guide) as far as you could see. I was shocked when I heard that we could only see thirty-percent of the glacier. We just sat there mesmerized for about two hours, listening to the glacier move. It was like listening to a storm. When a piece would break off, it would cannonball into the lake making a loud, thundering crash. Then, as the glacier adjusted, surrounding pieces would crack like lightening. It was eerie and beautiful.

Today, I went back to the Glacier. Although it was much less serene (the place was packed with tourists), it was no less amazing. I took a boat, which got me much closer to the glacier than I had been the night before. It sent shivers down my spine when large pieces of the face would slough off into the surrounding water causing a wave of ice to rock towards the boat. When the water would splash back up from the crash, it froze in midair like a superhero cartoon.

Tomorrow I head to El Chaten.

No comments: