Thursday, February 23, 2006

Day 27 - Buenos Aires - Retiro and Recoleta




After slumming it yesterday, I decided to explore the more affluent neighborhoods of Buenos Aires. I walked along Florida Street, a pedestrian mall with every boutique you could ever think of, to Retiro Station, a Central Station-esque train station.

From there I headed to Recoleta, the poshest neighborhood in Bs. As., where even the dead have to be rich and famous. It had only the most exclusive shops and high-rise apartments overlooking perfectly groomed parks and Recoleta´s most famous attraction, the cemetary. This cemetary is reserved for only the most important people in Argentina´s history. Eva Peron is buried here. Though her husband, the former president, did not make the cut. The graves here all look like temples (see above photo--this is not a church). I didn´t like it as much as the cemetary in Punta Arenas though. It was too impersonal. It did spend hours in it, however, not because I wanted to but because I got lost.

Speaking of the rich and famous being lost, still lost on the way back to my hostel, I stumbled upon a large crowd of people screaming, held back by police barricades. I thought it was a demonstration of some sort, but picket signs were noticeably absent. After further questioning, I found out that it was the hotel where the Rolling Stones were staying and that they were about to leave. After waiting in the rain for an hour, I got a couple of distant photos and some nice blurry shots of Mic Jagger filming the crowd as the bus blew by.

No comments: