Thursday, February 23, 2006

Day 21-23 - Puerto Madryn



Originally I didn´t plan to come to Puerto Madryn, but, as fate would have it, all the flights from Calafate to Buenos Aires were full until the middle of March. So instead of heading straight to Buenos Aires from Calafate, I flew on a small and scary plane to Comodora Rivadavia and caught a bus to Puerto Madryn.

My first day there, I was exhausted. My bus didn´t get arrive until 3 a.m. After sleeping a few hours, I decided not to waste the whole day sleeping in bed. I grabbed my swimsuit and my new sarong, light blue with dark blue palm trees, and went to the beach to sleep there instead. I spread out the sarong on the beach and crashed. I was shattered!

After a couple of hours, I decided to take a short walk on the beach. I was getting strange looks, but figured it was because I was blindingly white compared to the Argentinian women. When I got home, however, I realized that my sarong had bled perfectly shaped blue palm trees all over my thighs and back. I tried showering it off, but I suceeded only in smearing the trees.

Since I could go to the beach looking like a smurf, I spent the next day exploring Peninsula Valdes, a wildlife preserve. I was amazed at how many different types of animals shared that habitat. I saw sea lions with their pups, Ostriches, grey foxes, seals, more penguins, armadillos, maras (like rabbits but with deer legs, very strange!), llamas, and orcas. I guess we were really lucky to see the maras and the orcas because they were last sighted two weeks ago. The beach where we saw the orcas is the same beach where National Geographic shot the footage of the orca beaching itself in order to grab a sea lion pup for a snack and then using the tide to get back in the water. Although I didn´t see any pup-snatching, the Orcas did swim right in front of the beach. It was wild!

No comments: