Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I spent my last full day in Bs. As. shopping on Florida Ave, a pedestrian mall. Shopping when you have been wearing the same clothes for a month is like going to the grocery store when you haven´t eaten, you shouldn´t do it. To add to my temptation, I found my favorite boutique, Zara´s. It was just too much to resist. I ended up buying, among other items, an adorable pair of trousers that have absolutely no functional value and will probably line my backpack for the next two months (I can´t believe my trip is already 1/3 over!).

To rationalize my purchase, I wore my new trousers to the Tango show I had reservations for that night. It was one of the most enjoyable evenings that I´ve had since I started the trip, definitely the best meal. It was a three-course meal with a bottle of wine included for each party. Since I was by myself . . . I knew it was going to be an entertaining evening. For the first course, I had a fantastic salad with mushrooms and bacon. The entree was a to-die-for steak. I savored every bite. Argentinians really know their meat! Dessert, a chocolate souffle with regional fruits, was served after the show was well underway.

The show included a traditional Argentine band, a tango band, two singers, and a whole group of amazing dancers. There is a lot more to tango than the ¨¨Step one, two, three. Turn one, two, three.¨ It´s hard to describe. The music was almost sad. The dances seemed to convey a sense of unfulfilled longing, begining slow and elevating to the verge of realization, only to stop abrubtly and end in sorrow. A big tease!

We finished the show and the meal with a complimentary glass of champagne. Then the host hailed a cab for me and paid my fare. What a great night!

No comments: