Monday, March 20, 2006

Day 50 - Somewhere in the Amazon Basin (Day 2)





It was a good thing that we went to bed early last night because we were scared out of bed pre-dawn by terrifying roars and a series of loud crashing sounds. I tried going back to sleep and was dreaming that we were going to war when someone said that the sound was howler monkeys. When we got outside of the cabin, we realized the crashing was the sound of them throwing pods off of the trees and monkey poo at our cabin.

After breakfast, we put on long pants, long shirts, and knee-high boots to go Anaconda hunting. Unfortunately, the knee-high boots did little to protect us from the waist-deep water. After tromping through the mud and water for an hour, we walked around an island looking to see if there were any anacandas sunning on the tree branches. Still no luck. After another hour tromping through mud and weeds, we headed back to the boat.

I was a little disappointed, but more relieved. . . well at least until I stepped on an anaconda in the water. I screamed like only a girl can. By the time my guide realized what was going on the snake has slithered away. When I was obviously shaken, the guide´s assistant, Doya, asked me, ¨Didn´t you want to see an anaconda?¨ A legitimate question during an anaconda-hunting expedition. My response was, ¨Yeah, I wanted to see an anaconda. I wanted the guide to see an anaconda and point it out to me so I could take a picture and say I´ve seen an anaconda. I didn´t want to step on an anaconda.¨

When we got back from the hunting trip, we realized that yet another alligator had decided to camp with us and that his favorite spot for sunning was directly beneath the walkway that leads to our cabin door.

After lunch, we put on our swimsuits and went searching for good swimming spots. It wasn´t the first time on the trip that we had seen the pink river dolphins, but it was the first time that we were permitted to swim with them. I know it sounds like something straight out of a science fiction novel, but the dolphins really are pink. Not a crayola pink, but more of a salmon pink.

It was really great swimming with them. At first the dolphins were shy and kept their distance. But while the group was being loud and distracted showing off for each other, Regina and I swam away from them. Suddenly there were dolphins surfacing all around us. We exchanged smiles, knowing that we had the dolphins to ourselves.

No comments: