Friday, March 14, 2008

Finding Regina


After a quick call to Regina, I left Tela with a very vague idea of how to find her village. I jumped (literally) on the bus to Ceiba and told the driver ¨Naranjal, segundo desvio (the second crossroad), la curva (the curve)¨. When I got dropped off in the middle of nowhere, it was surprisingly effective to ask for La Gringa. Everyone knew exactly who I was talking about, and where she lived. She wasn´t there when I got there, but her cute little students came over to keep me company.

It was so great to see her when she got there. She is one of those friends that you can go for months without talking and feel like a day hasn´t passed the next time you see them. Regina and I met in the jungle of Bolivia, and spent a month traveling in Bolivia, Peru, and Ecuador. Since then, she has been traveling around Asia and now is doing a 2'year stint in the peace corps. She is such an amazing person and friend, and I´m so excited to see her. We quickly caught up, before her students came back over to paint. Afterwards, we had them climb Regina´s fruit trees to bring us cocoa (which is a surprisingly good fruit) and oranges for fresh'squeezed orange juice. Then Regina introduced me to her host sister. We walked around listening to religious karaoke (as fun as it sounds) and eating chocolate covered bananas. We ended the night sipping banana smoothies and planning out the next few days. This is going to be an amazing week!


1 comment:

Rachel Holloway said...

What a wonderful break and trip! I hope you get to see a million wonderful things and relax!! It sounds wonderful already!