Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Our last full day

On our last full day in China, I let Jayde sleep in while I went to check out the Temple of Heaven. The temple had incredible intricate and colorful architecture and woodwork. Although the fake cows were disturbing, the temple's historic use as an imperial sacrifical building meant to promote a good harvest.








Incredible design



The fake sacrifical "lambs"


By far the most interesting part, though, was all the people "excercising" in the park. I'm not sure if there are not gyms or enough room in the houses to work out, but there were hundreds of people (mostly elderly) practicing karate, sword play, dancing, instruments, and so many more. I don't what was more interesting, the variety of "sports" or the old people practicing them. It was one of the most enjoyable cultural experiences I had in China.





No comments: